Monterey County is a beautiful destination on the central coast of California. It’s known for amazing natural landscapes, courteous locals, fine wines and more. If you’re looking for the best Monterey attractions, these six options should be right up your alley.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: The Monterey Bay Aquarium on Cannery Row is perfect for people who want to explore the wonders and mysteries of the ocean. It’s full of fun for visitors of all ages. If you want to learn about mangrove forests, sharks, penguins, coral reefs and beyond, there’s no better location than the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
- Carmel Ridge Winery Tasting Room: Carmel Ridge Winery Tasting Room is a widely known destination among wine enthusiasts who visit the Carmel-by-the-Sea in Monterey County. If you want to sample Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon or Chardonnay and revel in a lovely and authentic vineyard experience, Carmel Ridge Winery Tasting Room should offer you hours of happiness.
- Monterey Museum of Art: The Monterey Museum of Art was established back in 1959 and makes a strong destination for people who are fond of culture. There are many diverse collections and exhibitions available to people who visit the museum. Visitors can learn about early local paintings, Asian art, modern art and more.
- Larkin House: The Larkin House is a terrific attraction for people who want to observe gorgeous historic architecture in Monterey. The property was constructed in 1835 by namesake Thomas O. Larkin. It’s a mud adobe brick residence that’s a fine example of genuine Monterey colonial architecture.
- Old Fisherman’s Wharf: Monterey Old Fisherman’s Wharf is a legendary Monterey destination that’s full of rich history and character. It was constructed in 1870 by a business called the Pacific Coast Steamship Company. The wharf was a wholesale fish market and remained that way until the sixties rolled around. Fisherman’s Wharf is now home to an abundance of exciting and diverse dining and shopping options. Multiple whale watching trips take off from the wharf too.
- Cathedral of San Carlos Borromeo: Cathedral of San Carlos Borromeo is a famed Monterey attraction located on Church Street. The Roman Catholic cathedral is yet another shining example of beautiful and well-maintained Spanish colonial architecture in the area. “Royal Presidio Chapel” is another name for it. It was constructed in 1794 and covers half an acre. People who want to experience a bit of serenity and tranquility while in Monterey can’t go wrong with visits to the Cathedral of San Carlos Borromeo.